The Grammar School was founded in 1512 by a wealthy local widow, Agnes Morley, and it stood in the south-east corner of the Grange, close to the Winterbourne Stream and a working watermill.
The pupils (all boys at that time) had a typically rigorous, Latin-based education fitting them for further study at Oxford or Cambridge. (Perhaps the most famous was the diarist John Evelyn.) The school remained in Southover for about 200 years, when the generosity of another local benefactress, Mary Jenkins, allowed the headmaster to lead his flock up the hill to the present site in St Anne’s. That building served the Grammar School for well over a hundred years, before the people of Lewes raised funds to replace it, in 1851, with what we now know as Mead House.
During and after the Victorian period the school had rather more downs than ups – a story vividly told in our 500th anniversary book, Floreat Lewys. Under the guidance of Roy Mead, who took over the school in the 1960s, it eventually emerged to become the successful co-educational establishment we know today. The school expanded in to the neighbouring St Clair House in 1968 and Tyne House in 1994, with the Junior School a little way off in King Henry’s Road.
The most profound change of all, however, was the merging of LOGS with Lewes High School for Girls (formerly Leicester House School) in King Henry’s Road. Mead’s earlier dealings with it had been less than welcoming; however he bought the school in January 1977 and took over the running of it. It wasn’t until 1998 that the school became truly co-educational with boys and girls taught together.